Comfort Is An Asset For An Author

I am sitting in my home office and writing today. I am taking a trip back in time as I do it. Well, maybe only a small trip. I am dressed in pajamas, slippers and bathrobe. I dress this way for a good reason. I am absolutely comfortable as I write. That, to me, is a huge part of the experience.

This used to be my "writing uniform" for almost every writing session, but that was back when I had swing shift hours. I would get up in the morning, read the newspaper, drink a couple of cups of coffee and adjourn to the home office. My uniform was pajamas, slippers and (in the colder months) bathrobe. I could write for hours dressed this way. My new schedule is basically 9-to-5, Monday through Friday. I can't settle into that old routine with those hours. But today is Sunday, and I am calling my own shots.

Here is my guideline: Make yourself physically comfortable, but make yourself uncomfortable in what you are writing. My pajamas uniform meets the first criterion, my story line meets the second.

Some people like a little alcohol while they write. Maybe a glass of wine (or two), or a beer (or two). I rarely do that. I prefer a clear head, thereby turning aside Hemingway's advice to "write drunk, edit sober." Comfort is relative to each writer. Add either classical music or Latin guitar on my headphones and I am one happy writer.

And that is what I am going to do right now.

WHAT I AM READING NOW: "And the Mountains Echoed" by Khaled Hosseini. He is a patient, brilliant storyteller. I am only 100 pages in, but I am being drawn into life in Afghanistan. This novel is a big departure from some of my other recent readings: "The Jefferson Key" by Steve Berry, "The Bone Bed" by Patricia Cornwell, "The Highway" by C.J. Box, and "Where Men Win Glory," the story of Army Ranger/football star Pat Tillman, by Jon Krakauer. I will concentrate on Berry's novel in my next blog post.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Wrestling with the idea of white privilege

Western boy adjusts to the South

On being out of journalism for one year