Authors Can Add by Subtraction

I had a great day writing earlier this week. Most writers judge success by how many words they add to a novel on a given day. I reversed that. I was happy that I subtracted more than 10,000 words. It had to be done.

My novel took new directions after I attended Donald Maass' writing workshop (referred to as BONI) in September. I got great feedback on my work. I was told I write beautifully. I am great at using certain phrases and descriptions. But I also heard words authors don't like when they believe they have a completed novel.

Cold.

Predictable.

You are capable of much better work.

I don't have such a big ego that these criticisms sent me into a tirade. Exactly the opposite. The people who reviewed my work -- Maass, Lorin Oberweger, Jason Sitzes and Brenda Windberg -- are pros in the business. I listened, I internalized what they said and wrote, and I went home and started plotting ways to make my novel better.

Part of that is addition. There are swatches added to good chapters, and a handful of chapters that include new plot elements. But I had to prune parts that didn't work well. That trimming took away those 10,000 words. I even took two chapters I loved and put them into storage for use in another book.

It's simple math: Addition by subtraction. I am ready to make another editing trip through my entire manuscript, and there will be other changes. As I was told during the workshop, there really is no such thing as a completed novel. A published novel, yes, but never complete.

This is a big thank you to my BONI critics. I needed your slaps in the face and your excellent suggestions. Now, if you'll excuse me, I must go back to editing and revisions.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Wrestling with the idea of white privilege

Western boy adjusts to the South

On being out of journalism for one year