Right Image So Hard to Find

It's still not right. No, not my novel but my blog picture. Have ... to ... get ... it ... right ... soon.
This one isn't bad. Neither was the previous one. I simply hasn't hit the perfect tone yet. It's like having a paragraph in a novel that needs work. I tweak here. I tweak there. Finally it all comes together. I'm sure it will happen one of these days.

WHAT I'M READING NOW: "The Art of Racing in the Rain" by Garth Stein. He's a Pacific Northwest writer, and that's my geographical background. He also works with one of my favorite agents, Jeff Kleinman, and Stein is creative and daring enough to make a dog the narrator and protagonist. I'm not sold on Stein's pacing, but I'm only a third of the way through the book. I eagerly await the later chapters. Of course, I keep Donald Maass' how-to guide about writing the breakout novel near me at all times.

I also finished Jeffery Deaver's "The Cold Moon" and enjoyed his use of intricate plot lines. Now I understand why he needs two months to outline a book. Gosh, what twists and turns.

I am nearing the end of a line edit of my novel. I expect to have that done within the next two days. I have hammered away at my query letter, improving it in the process. I should start pitching the novel to agents within the week.

In the meantime, I will consider better pictures to make my author image come alive. I wish I could do it with the ease of changing paragraphs, but I'm a word guy and not a photography guy. So it goes.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Wrestling with the idea of white privilege

Western boy adjusts to the South

On being out of journalism for one year