How would you finish this: "Home is .."?

I was walking down the main street of tiny Minturn, Colorado, a few weeks ago and noticed a saying painted above a front porch. It started with "Home is ..." I will give you the rest of that sentence later, but those first words are a perfect place to begin a conversation.

How would you finish off "Home is ..."?

That could be a loaded question that looks simple on the surface. All my suggestions would be positive statements because my home is wonderful, and the home in which I grew up in was strong and loving. But it depends on what your home is or was. Here's some possible statements I'd paint above my front porch.

Home is Where Love Covers All the Drama

Home is Where Comfort Resides

Home is Where False Image Fails

Home is Where Our Children Are Always Welcome

Home is the Safest Place

Home is Where You Matter

I could go on, but it would be more of the same. My idea of home was founded on the place where my dad brought the ethics and toughness of a kid raised on an Oregon homestead and my mom brought the overwhelming love and sturdy wisdom of an Irish-American background. I was loved. There's no stronger foundation to have. I've tried to replicate that in my own home, and I've had the wisdom and love of my Deb to make that happen. I would say we succeeded only because we have three grown children who are quality human beings in so many areas.

But let's go back to the street in Minturn for a second. The painted statement there said, "Home is Where the Story Begins"

That's solid, but it needs more. I'll leave it to those folks to write their story. I continue to write mine.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Wrestling with the idea of white privilege

Western boy adjusts to the South

On being out of journalism for one year