Divided nation judges Blasey Ford and Kavanaugh

I write today as I await the start of the Dr. Christine Blasey Ford and Judge Brett Kavanaugh appearances before the congressional committee. There might be no other hearing in my life that I feel compelled to view. I will watch both major figures testify. So will millions of others. What will be more interesting to watch are the judgments of those viewers. I believe a vast majority of those people already have their minds made up as far as guilt or innocence on Kavanaugh's part.

Why? Because we are a nation that is deeply divided to the point that truth rests on political leanings. The perception of events overpowers the reality of the situation. As The Rock Man says in Harry Nilsson's The Point: "You see what you want to see and hear what you want to hear."

I will comment on the testimonies after they are finished, but for now I will concentrate on the deeply divided nation. To do that, I will use the public comments by two of my Facebook friends, both acquaintances from The Dalles High School. From the left, I use Ernie Baird. From the right, I use Roy Hillman. Both rely on memes to get across their points.

Baird is committed to his task of presenting the most stinging indictments of President Donald Trump. Those memes point to Trump as idiotic, unqualified for the office, evil, even treasonous. A day does not go by when Ernie posts several items showing his view from the far left of the political spectrum. Those memes are biting in their intensity, even savage in their goal.

Hillman is equally committed to his task. He rallies to Trump's defense and attacks Democrats, liberals, and anyone to the left of his stance. To Roy, Trump is a champion, and Democrats and liberals are liars attacking good people in any and all situations. There is hardly a day that goes by that Roy doesn't post numerous memes stating his view from the right wing. He is equally biting in selecting his posts, even savage in their goal.

My gut-level reaction to the actions of both men is to smile. Their posts are so virulent in content that someone who wants civil discourse shakes his head. It could be funny. It is not. Their views echo those of many like-minded people, all of them fellow Facebook friends and/or acquaintances.

It is a sad state of affairs when such division is so openly stated ... and accepted. Somewhere in the middle are the majority of Americans who want something more rational and even-handed. That doesn't catch attention, I am told.

The opening statements by Sen. Grassley and Feinstein are underway, so I am stopping this entry. I will comment after today's testimony is finished.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Wrestling with the idea of white privilege

Western boy adjusts to the South

On being out of journalism for one year