Moving Forward With Purpose

I am on a roll with the third novel. Maybe it's because this writing process is kicking into gear, or I'm simply learning HOW to write better. Maybe those are the same thing. Anyway, I am having a blast right now.

I just can't tell you much about it.

Here's one thing: I have made a tweak on my story line. Remember my post about selecting Moonlight Beach in Encinitas as the setting for my first chapter? I decided to move farther down the road to Swami's Beach. There are reasons I can't go into here. I want to get back to that area for a visit soon. It is such a beautiful part of the country, and it's been too long since I've been there. Walking through a neighborhood on The Strand south of Coronado or serving as part of the crew for a yacht race on San Diego Bay are among some of my greatest memories ever.

What I am reading: The Reversal by Michael Connolly. I love the fact he's a former journalist. I also love the fact he can write a crime/courtroom novel with the best of them. I am hooked on this one.

What is next on my reading list: The Bottoms by Joe Lansdale. I finished reading Lansdale's "Lost Echoes" a couple of weeks ago. I like Joe's style. He writes like he talks, and that's a good thing. The man is a treasure in the literary world.

What am I listening to: Classical when I'm writing. I let Pandora take me wherever it wants to lead me, or I have a drag-down listing if I want to control the vibe. The second movement of Beethoven's Ninth Symphony is a knockout, but I have trouble concentrating on my writing when it's playing. The music makes me stop whatever I'm doing and listen. Not a good thing when I'm putting plot points in a manuscript. If I'm not writing I am listening to lots of David Byrne, especially the best of the old Talking Heads stuff. Santana's "Soul Sacrifice" from Woodstock is maybe my favorite live performance ever. I can't stop tapping my feet and wanting to dance. That also is a good thing.

What to do now? Do the classical thing and write? Do the David Byrne thing and get that out of my system? Writing gets first priority.

Until later.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Wrestling with the idea of white privilege

Western boy adjusts to the South

On being out of journalism for one year