Writer's Block and Other Maladies of the Mind

My writers block this week took a different form. I had no problem coming up with ideas. My problem was coming up with too many ideas.
It centered on a single chapter. It isn't an important chapter, so it wasn't like I was working on a load-bearing wall in my house, but I kept coming up with flaws in the construction. I tweaked my first idea with a second idea. Later I considered a third idea ... and a fourth ... and a fifth. I stepped back and looked at the result. It read like a shattered mirror, with the broken pieces reflecting different angles. It was a mess.

So I did what any self-respecting author would do ... I threw up my hands and screamed to the skies. I asked for wisdom. I posted a note on my Twitter account and asked other authors who follow me for ideas. I was greeted by silence. OK, someone is trying to tell me I have to solve this problem on my own. So then I did what any self-respecting author would do ... I stepped back, looked at the chapters leading up to the problem chapter and examined the following chapters I had planned out. The result? I went back to my original idea, with some minor tweaking.

I simply spent too much time and energy working on alternative ideas. The chapter centers on the expanding relationship between a man and woman, and you would think that a guy who has been married for more than 35 years could handle that task. But it is a fictional relationship, and it is a supporting chapter ... kind of like filling holes in a brick wall with mortar. I spent so much time looking for the right mortar that I forgot about stacking the right bricks.

Am I alone in this problem? I think not. I am open to suggestions. Helpful hints, anyone?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Wrestling with the idea of white privilege

Western boy adjusts to the South

On being out of journalism for one year