A Thank You to Paul Simon

I attended the Paul Simon concert in Broomfield last night. It was a blast ... dancing in the aisles, people singing along and adding backup on a song like "Diamonds on the Soles of Her Shoes" and there's just the joy of spending time with a man of massive talent. I am biased here. I think he does a better job of blending music and lyrics than any other performer of my time.

But for all the amazing moments, one brought tears to my ears ... but it brings tears to my ears every time I hear the song. It is "The Obvious Child," and if you know me or have been reading this blog, you will understand. It is at once joyous and challenging, somber and celebrational. Paul brings it to life as only one of the best writers of our time could. I think it fits nicely in a literary blog because it is a novella in slightly more than 4 minutes. Simon simply is able to get to the essence of the story. What a master.

Enjoy.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Wrestling with the idea of white privilege

Western boy adjusts to the South

On being out of journalism for one year